Dr Jessica Sammut
Top 5 Reasons to Exercise in the Cold
Updated: Nov 1, 2018
Just when we think we can feel Spring on its way, we get struck down with another cold snap! It’s tough to get motivated right now, and if you're anything like me, you're great at finding reasons to not exercise in the cold.
Alas, never fear! These 5 benefits from exercising in the cold may help to peel you away from the warmth and cosiness of your couch and get outside to embrace the outdoors!
1. Your body will work harder in the colder temperatures and your body burns more calories and fat to produce energy for your workout.
2. Exercising in the cold can be extremely invigorating and can boost your mood both during and after your session. Many people suffer from seasonal affective disorder in the winter due to feeling confined, so exercising outside can help with this.
3. Exercising outside in the cold will give you exposure to Vitamin D that you would not have normally got from exercising inside. This is great for your body and overall well-being.
4. You are strengthening your heart, lungs and circulatory system, which is improving your overall health.
5. Regular cardiovascular exercise can strengthen your heart as it works harder to distribute blood throughout the body.
If you're looking for more reasons to get out and about, you can read my Top 10 reasons to exercise here, and remember - stay safe - here's how!